La Durée

Before we head off to the sunny climes of Madrid, there's one more highlight of Paris I wanted to share with you all. 


When planning the trip, I consulted my archive of food and design blogs for must-see sights. After a while, it became clear that there was one place where their recommendations converged. Gleefully, I pinned it on my map and made my holy pilgrimage to La Durée, home of the French macaron.




Now, these aren't the coconut based treats we all baked as kids, oh no. These are palm-sized, jewel coloured meringue like treats made from ground almonds and icing sugar. I'd been noticing them appearing in various delis and supermarkets for about a year prior to my trip, but had always resisted. I figured, if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right - so I went to the source...


The shop is a confection in itself. Awash with delicate pastel boxes and bags, teamed with crystal chandeliers and mirrored panels - minimalist this ain't! Even the ceiling is painted to look like clouds! Louis XVI would be proud...


We didn't have the opportunity to visit until after 4pm, and I was concerned that they'd be winding down for the day. I needn't have worried! Their selection of cakes, pastries and macarons was unlike anything I'd seen before.


And any shop that offers this many kinds of ribbon is just fine with me.


Although our mission was strictly macaron-based, I admit I was more than a little tempted by their cakes. The siren song of the strawberries was particularly hard to resist. They look rather dainty in the picture above, but in reality, they were huge! A meal in themselves easily...


The menu at La Durée changes seasonally. These were our summer time options. So hard to choose only 6!


Even the staff were immaculately presented. Les hommes wore waistcoats and cravattes, whilst les femmes had high buttoned shirts and velveteen bowties.


The large macarons on the right or the minis on the left? Choices, choices...


After much deliberation we opted for the Napoleon Gift box, which is a stunning item in its own right. 6 mini macarons in a  gold foiled presentation box. At €16, this was no cheap treat, but worth every cent. 

The macarons we chose are (l-r): Cassis, Rose, Coconut, Lemon, Melon and Raspberry. Delicieux!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!