This is Hallowe'en...

What a murky week it's been here up in the North East. For days now it seems like we've had wall to wall fog. It's all rather fitting for the time leading up to Hallowe'en isn't it?

This little guy was super easy to make - just carve two small holes into a little pumpkin and insert novelty Hallowe'en eyeball sweets! Done!

Hallowe'en is a pretty big deal in our house, usually marked by a all-out party at our house for us and our friends. Sadly, what with one thing and another, this year we shall not be partying. But that hasn't stopped me getting into the spooky spirit - oh no!


Dressing up is undoubtedly the most fun part of this holiday - so I thought I'd do a little round up for you all of my favourite costumes (creepy and not) from years gone by, perhaps they'll inspire your Hallowe'en outfit!


For me, the challenge (and fun) of a good costume is creating it on as small a budget as possible. After all, you're probably only going to wear it once! So when creating your outfit, hit the local charity shops, eBay, beg and borrow from relatives - you'll be surprised what you can achieve!

Dressing up as Mary Poppins - childhood dream realised!

Does it really surprise you that my first costume is Disney inspired? Some of you may remember this outfit from when I blogged it a few years ago. It still makes me smile!


Time for a creepy one! Black Swan was pretty huge the year this was my Hallowe'en costume. I remember seeing the movie in the cinema months beforehand and decided then and there that I absolutely had to try and recreate it! (Well the outfit that is... the comparison stops there I can assure you!)


I'm not going to lie, the make up for this costume was a little on the laborious side - but it absolutely makes or breaks the look. I was really happy with how it turned out!


This outfit could not be more different! Frilly and girly, yet painful and deadly - I had a lot of fun creating this jellyfish costume. I started with a super cheap ruffled flesh tone dress (found for less than £5 in the sales) and then spent time embellishing it with tendrils and tentacles. Of course the umbrella is crucial to this outfit (and useful in the British winter weather!) - for that ethereal look I filled it with bubble wrap and, though you can't see them in this pic, lined it with glow sticks!



This one is hands down my all time favourite. I'm more than a little fascinated with the Mexican celebration of Dia de los Muertos so it was only a matter of time before I used it as dressing up inspiration. The make up took about an hour but was achieved with a child's set of face paints - so this is a very achievable outfit!

What are you dressing up as this year?




2 comments:

  1. Very cool. We're doing Alice in Wonderland this year - my Alice is based on American McGee's version of events...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m7imzRsrts&feature=relmfu

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!