Local Heroes: No. 4 - Dabbawal

A couple of weeks ago, it was my birthday. As is traditional in our house, I chose a restaurant J and I had never eaten at before and was promptly taken out for my birthday treat!

This year, I chose Dabbawal. Located on the site of the dearly departed Flatbread Café in Newcastle, Dabbawal are purveyors of Indian Street food. And damn tasty it is too!



When it's your birthday, you have to begin with cocktails. Even if it is barely lunchtime! I went for the 'White Orchid' - a vanilla vodka based drink with cointreau and creme de cacao - delish! And for something with 3 shots of alcohol in it, it went down very smooth indeed!


The starters came beautifully presented and were tangy and delicious. A particular highlight was the Sweet Potato Chaat.


For our mains, we went all out and ordered a hearty feast. I opted for the Malabar King Prawns, sucker as I am for anything coconut based, and J chose the Dabbawal Grill which suited him down to the ground being as it was a whole plate of meat and fish!


Warm, satisfying and often unusual dishes all round - we will definitely be returning!





1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!