Vintage Fashion Show

A few months ago, I was lucky enough to be asked to model in a Vintage Fashion Show by the Little Theatre in Gateshead. Having already toured their amazing costume archive, I leapt at the chance to try on some of these sensational outfits!


The evening celebrated British fashion from the 1890s through to the 1960s - all the pieces we wore were actual outfits from the time, not a replica in sight! It was eye-opening to see how small a typical Victorian corseted waist was. Horrifying and fascinating at the same time.

Here are a few of the outfits I got to wear:


My first outfit was an 1890s mourning outfit - incredibly heavy with intricate details. I really enjoyed being able to strut around the place with a parasol! Fashion designers should bring these back in vogue.


The 1930s provided us with the most glamourous gowns. Mine was a gold and purple number with a built in cape.
Yes, you heard me. A gold trimmed cape.


This 1940s tea dress could have been in the shops today - it's funny how styles come around again.
If I got to keep one outfit, this would have been it.


This 1950s ballgown is possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever had the privilege of wearing. The huge petticoat, the beautiful beadwork - a true princess gown.

I also got to wear 1900s lace and a 1920s beaded flapper dress. Such fun!









1 comment:

  1. These are marvelous!! I agree with the above - you capture the unique and for me that is real style!! They are all covered in the latest trends, they create them and that's the marvel of fashion, the creation!! Not just seeing what's trendy and following it. The girl in the third picture is wonderful, have spotted her in other places, no idea who she is, but I just love her!!Marvelous shots!! Xx

    Fireman Sam Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!